Staying on track with your goals on the keto diet becomes easier with the right tools. One of the most valuable forms of feedback is the ketone meter. A ketone meter measures ketone levels in your blood or breath to determine whether you are or aren’t in ketosis.
The difference between a blood ketone meter and a breath meter is that blood ketone meters detect beta-hydroxybutyrate (BHB), the most prevalent ketone body that circulates through your bloodstream. Breath ketone meters, on the other hand, detect acetone (Ace), which is the third and least abundant ketone body (1).
Both testing methods are equally helpful for anyone just starting a keto diet or trying to re-enter ketosis after eating carbs. Also, they can be performed at home and anywhere — although breath ketone meters may be preferred by those who dislike pricking their finger.
A Quick Glance at the Best Ketone Meters
We’ve rounded up these ketone meters based on accuracy, budget, convenience, popularity, and warranty:
- Most accurate blood ketone meter: Keto-Mojo GK+ Blood Glucose & Ketone Meter
- Best for warranty: Kiss My Keto Ketone Blood Meter Kit
- Best for budget: Nova Max Plus Glucose and Ketone Testing Meter
- Best for beginner keto dieters: BKT Keto Starter Kit
- Most accurate breath ketone meter: Biosense Fat Burn Tracker & Mobile App
- Lightweight and reliable breath ketone meter: KETONIX Breath Ketone Analyzer
How We Chose These Ketone Meters
Since there are plenty of ketone meters to choose from, we’ve based them on users’ goals and experiences. For example, we considered individuals who follow the keto diet to help with their weight loss and health and those who are testing as part of their diabetes management.
We also took into account other factors, such as price, ease of use, features, and durability.
6 Best Ketone Meters Available in the Market
Let’s explore some of the best ketone meters that measure your blood or breath ketones while shedding light on their capabilities so that you can make the right choice:
1. Keto-Mojo GK+ Blood Glucose & Ketone Meter
It’s not surprising that users pursuing a healthy lifestyle are pleased with Keto-Mojo. Their GK+ Blood Glucose & Ketone Meter is an excellent entry point for individuals who are just starting their keto journey. It has consistently provided accurate results not just for ketone levels, but also glucose levels.
A lot of people also love Keto-Mojo’s phone app, which allows you to monitor your results over time. You will be able to download your readings from the ketone meter to the app and check your trends over time. The meter itself is user-friendly and has a screen that’s big enough for easy reading.
- One device checks both your blood ketone and blood glucose levels
- Also useful for individuals with prediabetes, type 1, or type 2 diabetes
- Easy to set up and use
- Lets you share your data with your healthcare provider
- Ships outside the US but only to selected countries
- Some may find the device expensive
Price: $44.99 at Keto-Mojo
2. Kiss My Keto Ketone Blood Meter Kit
The Kiss My Keto Ketone Blood Meter also stands out as a reliable ketone meter that comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and a lifetime warranty. The meter has a fun design and color that appeals to health and fitness enthusiasts.
No calibration is needed to set up the device. Results will appear within 10 seconds. Although it does not come with an app, Kiss My Keto has a ton of resources and a supportive community on their website to make sticking to the keto diet easy.
- Stores 450 historical readings to help you track your progress
- Easy to set up and use
- Fast delivery
- Requires only a small blood sample
- All-in-one: comes with a lancing device, lancets, strips, and carrying case
- Does not include an app
Price: $44.99 at Kiss My Keto
3. Nova Max Plus Glucose and Ketone Testing Meter
With its dual functionality, the Nova Max Plus Glucose and Ketone Testing Meter has the ability to measure both blood ketone levels and blood glucose in one device. It’s also known for providing accurate readings, which can help you adjust your keto diet accordingly (including your insulin dosing if you have diabetes).
No coding is needed, plus it requires only a 0.3 microliter blood sample size. The test strips are widely available, so you won’t have to worry about being able to use this ketone meter for a long time.
- Also suitable for individuals with diabetes
- No maltose error (Prevents false high readings due to maltose)
- Requires a much smaller blood sample compared with other blood ketone meters on the market
- Has a bright monitor display
- Allows for alternative testing sites
- Does not include an app
- It has a small memory — up to 400 results only
4. BKT Keto Starter Kit
The Best Ketone Test (BKT) meter offers comprehensive monitoring, meaning that it monitors both ketone and blood glucose levels. As a starter kit, it includes plenty of educational materials to help you use the tool correctly.
Having personally used this meter, we like that it’s highly accurate and has plenty of features that make you appreciate ketone testing and the effects of certain foods on your body, so you can better stick to a low-carb lifestyle. Read our experience with BKT.
- One device checks blood ketones and blood glucose
- Has a Bluetooth that connects to your phone and feeds all your data
- Strip ejector to maintain hygiene after using (so you don’t touch the blood on the strip)
- Big LCD monitor for high visibility and with backlight for dark environments
- Painless and automatic pricking — a huge plus for us
- Customer support is highly responsive and very helpful
- Ships worldwide
- A bit challenging to set up if you’ve never used a blood meter before (so make sure to read the manual)
- We were not able to add notes to the app even though we clicked the “Add notes” form several times
Price: $49.99 at Best Ketone Test
5. Biosense Fat Burn Tracker & Mobile App
This breath ketone analyzer is a medical-grade device that will help you reach your keto diet and health goals faster by measuring breath acetone levels. It’s a great option for those who prefer a non-invasive way of checking for ketosis.
It has a long battery life, lasting 2-4 days. Moreover, it has a mobile app that comes with many important features, such as a fasting timer (which you can use during intermittent fasting to speed up ketosis).
- Has a sleek design
- Non-invasive; all that’s needed is your breath sample
- The app has multiple features (e.g. fasting timer, ketone trends, and fat burn scores)
- FDA-registered class 1
- Apple Health and Google Fit integrations
- More expensive than urine ketone test strips (which are also a non-invasive way to test ketosis)
Price: $299 at Biosense
6. KETONIX Breath Ketone Analyzer
The KETONIX Breath Ketone Analyzer is another device you can use to measure ketone levels non-invasively. KETONIX is actually one of the oldest brands when it comes to ketone testing and it’s owned by a Swedish company.
What most users like about this ketone testing tool is that it has a compact design (like a pen), which makes it perfect for traveling. You’ll be able to use the KETONIX breath ketone analyzer for many years to come without the need to replace the sensor.
- Suitable for those who are always on the go
- A quality product that stays reliable for years
- It’s a one-time investment, no other purchase is required
- Comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee
- Doesn’t have a screen, which means you have to rely on the app
Price: $139 at KETONIX
Tips for Buying a Ketone Meter
Buying a ketone meter online can be a convenient way to monitor your ketone levels, especially if you’re following a ketogenic diet or managing certain health conditions. Here are some tips to help you feel confident about your purchase:
- Decide which testing method you’re most comfortable with — blood, breath, or urine. (Please note that the options in this guide are only blood and breath ketone meters.)
- Take time to read user reviews. Pay attention to both positive and negative feedback.
- Compare the features of the brands you’re choosing from to determine which ketone meter suits your specific needs.
- Review the company’s customer support and return policy in case you’ll encounter issues down the road.
- If your ketone meter of choice has an app, check for the app integrations. Also, make sure that the app is user-friendly.
Frequently Asked Questions
People often have questions when it comes to ketone meters, especially if they’re new to using these devices for tracking their ketone levels. Here are some common questions:
How do ketone meters work?
Ketone meters measure ketones in the body through methods like blood sampling, breath analysis, or urine testing. Whether for health monitoring, managing a ketogenic diet, weight loss, athletic performance, or medical conditions like diabetes, using ketone meters helps you stay on track.
How often should I test my ketone levels?
The frequency of testing your ketone levels depends on your goals, your current state of health, and why you’re monitoring your ketones.
For example, if you’re aiming for weight loss during a keto diet, then it makes sense to test once a day or a few times each week. On the other hand, if you’re monitoring ketones for health management, be sure to ask your healthcare provider how often you should test.
Are there any risks associated with using ketone meters?
Using ketone meters for monitoring your ketone levels is generally considered safe, but there are a few considerations and potential risks to be aware of, such as the possibility of inaccurate readings. This is why it’s so important to choose a quality ketone meter.
Moreover, relying solely on ketone readings to determine your health or progress can be misleading. Ketone levels are just one piece of the puzzle. Other factors like your nutrition, energy levels, and how you feel are also important indicators of good health.
Can I share my ketone readings with my doctor?
Yes, you can definitely share your ketone readings with your doctor, especially if you’re using ketone meters as part of your health management plan! It helps to maintain a log of your ketone readings along with relevant details such as the time of measurement, what you ate, your activity level, and any other relevant factors.
The best ketone meters combine accuracy, convenience, and user-friendly features to help you on your journey. Whether for weight loss, improving your health, or managing a health condition — these tools allow you to understand the impact of your diet.
As with any health-related tool, balanced usage is key. If you’re not sure about any aspect of using ketone meters, it’s always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional for proper guidance.