Tired of plain scrambled eggs? Try our ground beef omelette that’s filled with cheddar cheese. It goes well with your favorite keto-friendly coffee.
I’ve always been a firm believer in real food. It’s the best way to fill your body with healthy protein, fats, and several micronutrients. Instead of starting your day with high-carbohydrate and processed cereal that will only spike your blood sugar, eat eggs instead.
Eggs contain all essential amino acids, making them a complete protein source. When paired with other nutrient-dense foods ground beef, cheese, and onions, you get the most nourishing meal ever.
Here at Ketogenic Buddies, our goal is to share recipes that are simple and aimed at meeting your macros for ketosis. So, we let our imagination run wild and decided to upgrade scrambled eggs with this recipe.
Feel free to add other ingredients you may like, such as veggies and mushrooms.
How to Cook Ground Beef Omelette
This healthy meat omelette satisfies two people, with each serving containing only 3.8 grams of total carbohydrates. While it’s great for breakfast, you can also have it at any time of the day and week.
If you follow an exercise routine, this beef and cheese omelette makes for an excellent source of protein and fat for fuel and muscle repair.
So, to make it, prepare these five ingredients: Large eggs, ground beef (sirloin), cheddar cheese, salt, and a small red onion.
Preheat your pan and grease it with butter, coconut oil, or extra virgin olive oil. Add the chopped onions, then ground beef, and cook it for 10 minutes. Break up the beef into smaller pieces. Make sure to season it with salt. (You can do this before cooking or while cooking.)
Transfer the cooked beef to a separate bowl. You’re going to add it later to the egg mixture while it’s cooking.
Next, crack open the eggs in a bowl, add salt, then briskly beat them using a fork for a few seconds. When done, pour this egg mixture into a preheated pan. You can re-use the pan used for cooking the ground beef.
Once the egg mixture starts to set, add the cooked beef to one side of the mixture. Then add shredded cheddar cheese on top. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes. You’ll notice the cheese starting to melt.
Finally, lift the opposite unfilled side of the omelette over to the filled side. Transfer the ground beef omelette to a plate. Garnish with thinly sliced spring onions if desired.
Serve warm and enjoy. Below, you can see that I cut the omelette in half. I couldn’t even finish the whole omelette – it filled me up fast. The best part? It was so delicious and healthy.
More details on the ingredients used for this healthy meat omelette:
- Eggs – These foods pack lots of nutrients such as vitamin A, B12, iron, and choline. You can use brown or white-shelled eggs – whatever is available in your pantry.
- Ground beef – For this recipe, I used ground beef from sirloin, making the meat both lean and flavorful. Beef is an excellent source of protein to support and help build lean muscle.
- Cheddar cheese – This type of cheese is a wonderful choice for omelettes. Freshly grated/shredded cheddar cheese is best since it doesn’t contain any additives.
- Red onion – Onion adds flavor and aroma to any dish. Some people can’t cook without adding onion! If you’re fine without this ingredient, feel free to not include it.
- Salt – You can use any salt here – ordinary salt, sea salt, or pink salt. In case you’re wondering, I used sea salt from Redmond.
Keto Ground Beef Omelette FAQs
1. What meat can go in a keto-friendly omelette? If you need ground beef alternatives, you can use chorizo, ham, or sausage sliced into thin pieces. Please check the carb count and sugar content of these cured meats before buying.
2. How many carbs are in this omelette? One serving has 3.8 grams of total carbs. Adding other ingredients not on the list will increase the number of carbs.
3. Can I store and reheat this omelette? Yes, you can! This ground beef omelette can be a nice make-ahead meal. To store omelette, wrap it tightly in an airtight bag or container. To reheat, place it in the microwave for 2 minutes or the oven for 10 minutes.
4. How can I make this omelette meat-free? It’s simple – instead of ground beef, use mushrooms, baby spinach, and tomatoes. This will be a delicious combination for plant-based keto dieters.
Keto Ground Beef Omelette
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup ground beef
- 1 small red onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Salt (to taste)
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Chop the red onion into small pieces.
- Preheat a non-stick pan. (Note: You can use butter or a keto-friendly oil such as coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil.)
- Saute the onions, then add ground beef. Using a spatula, break up the ground beef into smaller pieces. Add salt. Continue cooking for 10 minutes until browned.
- Transfer the cooked beef to a clean bowl or plate. Set aside.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl, add salt, then briskly beat using a fork for a few seconds.
- Pour the egg mixture into a preheated non-stick pan. Feel free to use the same pan used for cooking the ground beef earlier.
- Let the egg mixture set. Then add the cooked ground beef to one side. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top of the beef. Continue to cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Lift the other side of the omelette to the filled side.
- Now, transfer the ground beef omelette to a clean plate.
- Optional: Garnish the omelette with spring onions.
- Serve warm.
- Total carbs: 3.8 grams
- Total fat: 11 grams
- Total protein: 16.7 grams
- Sodium: 173 mg