Say hello to this low-carb version of Chili Con Carne. While it eliminates red kidney beans and sugar, it tastes so delicious — it’ll become one of your favorite meals on the keto diet.
The story behind this recipe:
You know Charles and I love ground beef a lot. Regular ground beef is full of fat and a good source of protein too! (If you workout on a daily basis, beef will support your fitness efforts.) So back to the story. We had a conversation about what to make using ground beef while at the grocery store. I had lots of ideas in mind but I wanted something that’s filling and easy to prepare.
We passed by the canned food aisle, then I saw Chili Con Carne. I thought, “What a great meal to make on keto!” Charles had the same opinion so we gave it a go.
I hope you’ll find this recipe amazing like we did.
You’ll notice that the ingredients list isn’t that long to keep things simple yet we made sure that the recipe ends up as great as the traditional Chili Con Carne. There’s no oregano, coriander, white pepper, and mushrooms. (If you’re curious, you can add these in your future cooking.)
However, we’ve added one ingredient that we believed made the flavors stand out. That ingredient is Kiss My Keto’s Beef Chili bone broth in a stick pack. I checked its nutrition facts and loved that it had medium-chain triglycerides.
How to Make Keto Chili Con Carne
This Mexican dish has a total preparation time of 1 hour. If this is your first time to cook Chili Con Carne, I would recommend doing it on a weekend or when you’re not in a hurry. You don’t want to end up with a meal that’s too salty. I was guilty of this mistake. What I’m trying to say is, with more time, you can adjust the taste to your preference.
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- Ground beef – Personally, I prefer washing ground beef before cooking to remove excess blood. You’ll see in my picture below that it looks pale since I washed it. Some say that rinsing will result in a loss of flavor but I don’t find that to be the case. Anyway, stick to what you’re most comfortable with.
- Red and green bell peppers – Bell peppers contain a healthy dose of vitamins A, C, and fiber. They’re also among the best veggies to eat on a keto diet.
- Onion – An excellent source of antioxidants, onions add subtle sweetness to this dish. Hate cutting onions because of tears? To avoid that, use a sharp knife as this will minimize the irritants released. I also suggest refrigerating the onion before cutting it to reduce the tear factor.
- Garlic – You can use powdered garlic for convenience but I prefer raw garlic. Garlic is keto-friendly too, not to mention it’s a great flavor enhancer. It’s impossible for me to cook any low-carb dish without garlic. Just saying.
- Ground cumin – Cumin imparts an earthy flavor to Chili Con Carne. It’s a combination of sweetness and bitterness. I’d say ground cumin is perfect for meats!
- Chili powder – Chili powder adds a kick to your recipes. It’s popular in Mexican-style cooking which makes it, of course, a must-add for this dish! A teaspoon of chili powder will provide you with B vitamins.
- Canned tomatoes – Pro Tip: Check the nutrition label! There were lots of canned tomato options available but I chose the one that had the fewest carbs. Since you’re on keto, be careful with the carbs so always look at the label when it comes to preserved food.
- Beef stock cube – Some people don’t include beef stock cube in their low-carb Chili Con Carne, but I do. Without the beef stock cube, I find that the dish would taste dull. My opinion.
- Kiss My Keto’s Beef Chili bone broth (Optional) – This ingredient adds a welcome kick to Chili Con Carne. It makes your keto Chili Con Carne more Chili Con Carne. I hope you get what I mean! While I love drinking their bone broth, using it as an ingredient also works.
- Sour cream – Sour cream is only used as a topping before serving this dish. When you mix it with the Chili Con Carne before eating, it’ll make your meal a bit creamy, which is great!
The prep and cooking process is really simple. No stress.
Here’s how to do it:
After chopping the onions, garlic, and bell peppers, sauté them in extra virgin olive oil (EVOO). Next, add the ground beef into the skillet and cook it in medium heat until browned.
Add the stock cube into the meat. I suggest crumbling or breaking it up before adding it to the ground beef so that it spreads easily. Pour in the canned tomatoes.
Next, add the ground cumin and chili powder, followed by Kiss My Keto’s bone broth powder (if you plan to add that). Then stir.
Let it simmer for 30-40 minutes. Finally, top with sour cream before serving!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What else can I use as a topping? Here are other wonderful options: Shredded cheese, sliced avocados, or both!
2. How long will this homemade Chili Con Carne last in the fridge? If properly stored, it will last up to 3 days. Storage tip: Let it cool first, and place it in an airtight container in the fridge.
3. What other ingredients can I add? Although I have not tried using these ingredients for this recipe, some people add 1 tablespoon of paprika and 1 tablespoon of ground coriander. When you get the chance to try it, let me know in the comments section below if they make a difference!
4. What can I serve with Chili Con Carne? Sides that go with this dish include a simple lettuce salad, keto-friendly tortillas, and keto bread.
Keto Chili Con Carne
- 500 g ground beef
- 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 200 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef stock cube
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 sachet Kiss My Keto Beef Chili bone broth (Optional)
- Wash the ground beef.
- Slice the bell peppers, onion, and garlic cloves.
- Sauté the bell peppers, onion, and garlic in olive oil.
- Add the ground beef. Let it cook until browned.
- Add the beef stock cube (crushed).
- Pour in the canned tomatoes.
- Add the ground cumin and chili powder. Mix everything together.
- Pour the contents of Kiss My Keto’s Beef Chili bone broth sachet.
- Stir and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until you achieve the desired thickness of the sauce.
- Transfer to a serving plate or bowl.
- Top with sour cream. Serve!
- Calories: 367
- Total carbohydrates: 10.1g
- Dietary fiber: 2.4g
- Total sugars: 5g
- Total fat: 12.5g
- Protein: 52.4g
- Sodium: 140mg