Missing rice on a keto diet? We created this 20-minute easy keto fried rice using shirataki (konjac) rice with egg if you like. Get the recipe here.
Total Carbs: 11.11g | Total Fat: 0.07g | Protein: 0.87g
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Serving: 2
- 200g shirataki konjac rice
- 1 baby carrot (chopped)
- ½ small red pepper (chopped)
- ½ small ginger (chopped)
- ½ small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tbsp coconut aminos
- butter (optional)
- egg (optional)
- Assemble the ingredients.
- If you’re going to add an egg to your keto fried rice, cook one scrambled egg ahead of time and set it aside.
- Chop/cut/dice the baby carrot, red pepper, ginger, onion, and garlic according to your preference. Set them aside.
- Open a pack (200g) of shirataki rice, transfer it to a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave it for 1 minute. Then set aside.
- Preheat your pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of oil or butter. Coconut oil and red palm oil are good choices for sautéing and frying.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and saute for 2-5 minutes.
- Add the shirataki rice to the pan. Using a spatula, mix the rice with the veggies evenly and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut aminos or soy sauce. You can also add a few drops of fish sauce (as an optional step) to boost the savory flavor of your keto fried rice. Mix the sauce with the rest of the veggies and rice.
- Add your cooked scrambled egg (optional). Break it apart using the spatula while mixing it with the rest of the veggies and rice.
- Transfer your keto fried rice to a bowl, top it with chopped scallions, and serve hot!
What is Shirataki rice made of?
Shirataki rice is made of glucomannan. This is a type of fiber that’s sourced from the root of the konjac plant which grows in Asia.
Is shirataki rice healthy?
Yes. Shirataki rice impacts your health positively by helping with blood sugar control, weight loss, and regular bowel movements. This is because shirataki rice is low in calories and has 2 grams net carbs, and contains soluble fiber. If this is your first time to try shirataki, you’ll want to go easy with your serving since some people experience diarrhea due to their sensitivity to glucomannan fiber. Although this goes away over time as you get used to it.
What are some dishes to serve with keto fried rice?
Just like regular fried rice, keto fried rice goes well with any dish. Stir-fried meat and seafood, for example. Or you can also try our keto-friendly baked pork chops.
How do I store leftover keto fried rice?
Leftover rice should be stored in a container (with cover) and chilled in the fridge. Be sure to reheat and eat it within 24 hours to preserve its quality and taste.